Sunday, March 20, 2005

Me, a father? Are you sure....

For the past few weeks I had been teasing Kate about being pregnant. She would come home and say our house stinks when I couldn't smell anything. She would send back sandwiches complaining that there were too many capers when others thought the capers were too subtle. She was nauseous and sensitive to smells and I was my usual caring and considerate husband, "honey you are so pregnant it’s not even funny." Well after a couple of weeks of this teasing we thought maybe we should check to see, you know just to rule it out and all. We went to Target with one of our left over gift cards from the wedding and joked and teased our way through the isles until we were in front of the array of different tests. We had a quick discussion on whether to get the high end test or the generic brand and settled some where in between. We took our box with two tests and some microwave popcorn and made our way to the cash register where Ethel, the 60 year old chain smoking night time check out lady was waiting for us. She eyed the pregnancy test, then turned her gaze to sweet young Kate, and then moved on to stare me down accusatorily. With pure scorn in her eyes she rang up the items and deducted the total from our Target Card balance and wished us a good evening. We made our way to Kate's parents house for a night of movies, microwave popcorn, and life altering revelations, you know your typical Friday night! Being the sensitive guy I am I immediately turned on the TV to see if there might be a game or two on, knowing full well that the Lakers were on ESPN that night. Kate wasn't too amused by this and promptly turned the TV off while she made her way to the bathroom for test number one. We read the instructions two or three times and it seemed simple enough, red line=pregnant, no red line=not pregnant, wait three minutes to be sure. Kate preformed the test and we set the indicator on the bathroom counter and tried to act like nothing much was happening for three minutes. When it was time we went into the bathroom to find out our fate. There was a light red line in the window and blood completely left my face. "Light red means no right?" "No James it means I'm pregnant" Apparently I had stopped breathing at that point because with a great deal of concern for my well being Kate instructed me to breath. My immediate first reaction was pure fear. I was scared to death, I thought I can't do this, I'm not ready, I don't even have a Job, or insurance, or or or or..... I tried to convince Kate that I was OK and that I wasn't scared, that I was excited but the pale look on my face defied my words and I could see the resolve on Kate's face, I could hear the strength in her voice, and I could feel the comfort in her touch as she told me we were going to be OK, and I believed her. After a couple of days fear and panic have turned into joy and excitement. We are on a roller coaster now and the car is slowly clicking up the beginning of the track. I can feel the anticipation building already, the joy and the fear and I am going try to make sense of it here if you don't mind. Follow along if you would like, comment when you can, stow your valuables under the seat and lock the seat belt the ride is starting click click click....

0 comments: