Thursday, September 21, 2006

Late Night trip to Wally World

Towards the end of my 1-9 PM shift I got a call from Kate. She was having dinner with her parents up in Cicero and was still not feeling well so she wanted to stay up at her parents house instead of driving the hour back home. Since her parents house is just as far away as home I drove up there after I got off. Finn had been crabby for the later part of the evening but was asleep when I got there and after watching the 11 PM Sports Center I called it a night as well. I heard Finn wake up and Kate get up to feed him but feel back asleep. It seemed minutes later when I heard Finn awake again. Kate said this was the third time he has awoken and could I get him this time. I turned a lamp on and Finn was grinning at me wide awake. I was so tired and wanted to sleep but he was such a happy baby I quickly dissolved into a cooing, babbling dork. I started to change Finn's diaper and saw there wasn't a clean one in the Crib diaper holder. I asked Kate where the diaper bag was and after climbing up stairs to get it I saw there wasn't a diaper in there either. This whole time Finn is giggling and kicking his arms as if this is the funniest thing he has seen in his four months of life. His current diaper is soaked so it has to come off and I grab a wash cloth and fashion it into a crude diaper held into place by his onesie and load Finn into the Car seat and head out to find 24 hour place at 3:45 AM. Finn is talking away in the back of the car until the heat kicks in and he falls asleep. There was nothing in Cicero so we headed South to Noblesville and the Wal-Mart Super Center. My personal decision to not shop at Wal-Mart was now put to a huge test. I have no idea where another place open at this hour will be so I say forget principles I'm tired. There is a certain class of wierdos shopping at Wally World at 4 in the morning and I got the chance to chat with one of them while waiting in the one checkout line. She told me about her husky son and how his metabolism is not the same as his older brother. She had about 6 outfits picked out for him and some shampoo. I wanted to ask her why these items were necessary at this hour but I just nodded and smiled. Finn was awake again and happy as could be. He flirted with the checkout lady, lifting his eyebrows as he smiled at her and I thought she might give the diapers to me for free. I took Finn into the bathroom and took off his wash cloth, that was wet already, and put a fresh diaper on him. He fell asleep again on the ride back to Kate's parents and I left him in his car seat sleeping as I climbed back into bed. It was almost 5 at his time and Finn would be up for good in another 3 hours. As I write this he is napping peacefully in his swing, the rhythm of the swinging creaking out his control over me. And tired as I am I love it.