Monday, April 04, 2005

Indiana

This past weekend we had the chance to see Kate's Sister Meg and her husband from Duluth, MN as well as Kate's friend Em and her new fiannce Logan who were visiting from OH. Tom, Mike, Logan and I decided to brave the vicious wind that was howling through the plains and try a round of frisbee golf at the local Frolf course. We were having a good time with our, if not accurate, at least entertaining, drives and trying hard to figure out the wind for the short game. As we came to hole 8 Tom had established his skill and experience with course and was comfortably in the lead. Hole 8 is a short 130 feet straight shot on top of the hill over looking Morse Lake. The wind was blowing off the lake and over the hill causing a wicked cross breeze that sent my first toss 300 feet to the left and across the parking lot. Tom decided the best course of action was to throw the frisbee almost straight down and to the right and see what the wind would do with it. Well that seemed a wise move when Tom bent it like Beckham and sunk a hole in one. We continued on through the course, a bit down now that no matter what shot we unleashed the shot of the day had happened already. There are 9 holes with 2 different tees for each hole so we were playing the entire 18. When we got to the 17th hole we found ourselves back on the hill about 40 feet further away with even more wind howling acroos our path. Mike told Tom if he got another hole in one he would give him $20, I said "Hell if you get another hole in one I will swin naked in your lake!" Tom tees off as we stare confident in our bets. He releases the disc down and to the right again with a little more umph to carry the distance. I watched the trajectory and my cocky grin faded with every foot that frisbee traveld. "No way, no way, GOD NO!" Hole in freaking one! He did it again! We were jumping around screaming and carrying on. Tom had tears in his eyes he was laughing so hard. Mike pulled a $20 out of his wallet and Tom said keep your money. I sheepishly turned to look at him hoping for a reprive as well, but Tom asked me if I was ready for a swim. Logan, Mike and I quit after that shot and we headed back home to tell the girls the good news. I had decided I would wait till it was dark and everyone was too busy with other stuff to notice I was gone. I snuck down to the basement to head out the back door down the steps to the lake. Mike was down there and followed me out to be my witness. I got down to the dock, dropped my shorts and stood naked and cold on the swaying dock. I was about to chicken out when the lights on the deck came on and everyone in the house started piling out to see. Kris had noticed Mike and I were gone and knew something was up. I jumped in and tried to get right out but scrapped my stomach on the dock. I had to walk back to the front of the dock with what seemed like blinding lights on me so there I was cupping my boys, waddling for me towel. From what I hear I was just glowing ball of white down there on the dock and no one saw anything. I reminded them that the lake was very very cold and that might have more to do with it. Once again Tom was near tears laughing. He told me I was a good man, who honored his debts. The next day Mike, Tom and I went to play regular golf and on the way out Kate stopped me for what I thought was a good bye kiss but instead was an admonishment not to gamble on anything today. I'll try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, James... we miss you!

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that I would shave your head if Tom got a whole of one. Fortunately...I'm not a man of my word as much as you are.

Anonymous said...

I mean hole in one...dangit! How do you edit this thing!