Saturday, June 18, 2005

Amazon thinks I am a degenerate gambler

It is funny what you can find out about yourself while perusing the books that Amazon.com suggests for you. Right now I have The Barbarian Way: Unleash the untamed Faith within and Positively Fifth Street at the top of the list. The first is by one of the foremost authorities on the emergent Church and the later a tale of Texas Hold'em in Sin City. The list goes on like this alternating between the divine and the debauched. Both teach you to read people but one wants you to see the need and feed it and the other wants you to see the weakness and exploit it. We are funny animals aren't we.

I just finished reading a couple of books that I thought I would share with whoever stumbles on this page. The best of the three was Devil in the White City by Eric Larson. It is a non-fiction book that chronicles the Worlds Fair in in Chicago in 1893. It parallels the story of Daniel H. Burnham, the architect responsible for the fair's construction, and H.H. Holmes, a serial killer masquerading as a charming doctor. The book seems at times to be fiction because of the fantastic story but it is a great read. I dug it for the historical context, the imaginative story, and the race to out do the Paris World's Fair four years earlier.

For our new book club we read Balzac and the Little Seamstress byDai Sije. This was an interesting book that was better for the talking about it then it was for just my reading. I enjoyed it while reading it but I loved it after hearing what others has to say. If you love reading then a book club is a must have for the many facets it brings to the books you love. The story is that of two boys in China that are sent for re-education because ethey have been to school. They come across some books and the their world expands with their minds. An interesting dual tail of education and re-education.

The most recent book I read was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. The book is a mystery as told through the eyes of an Autistic Boy. It is a great book that explores the difficulties of relating to everyday life while trying to solve a the Mystery of who killed the dog. There are a number of diagrams and pictures as you come to view the events through the narrators lens and I enjoyed the quirkyness and the insight tremendously.

Well there you have it, those are the three most recent books I have read (not counting computer books). What are you reading lately?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Currently at the top of Amazon's suggestions for me:
(1) Student Study Guide for the Basic Practice of Statistics
(2) Visions of Culture
(3) History and Theory in Anthropology

Apparently, Amazon didn't get the memo that I graduated! Maybe its time I buy some books to read for fun :)
Well, I will, once I finish "The Chronicles of Narnia". After a childhood deprived of this CS Lewis classic, I've decided to read everyone's favorite children's story, before the movie hits theaters the end of this year.

dave said...

i just read Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets.

Anonymous said...

Blog's mostly, but thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Funny story about amazon:
When I worked down in the lab in Chicago, myself and others in the lab would load up on books in the shopping cart on other people's cart when they didn't log out of amazon. I'll spare the details on some of the books that we placed in. Anyway, when I moved up to Duluth, Amazon was recommending a whole bunch of sex books on how to be a better lover, etc. I check my shopping cart, and it was loaded with 50+ books on the topic. The last book was a book on ENT surgery, so I would know who the culprit was...