Monday, June 13, 2005

Funny little thing called perspective

Here it is going on 3 months without a job for me and though I am staying busy volunteering, going to school, and learning all I can, I still feel like a little less of a man. It is silly that so much of our identity is tied up in what we do. Sadly it works to define us and we buy into it hook line and sinker. Today, while having a lunch of crackers, lunch meat, Colby cheese, and cherries with Kate on the short wall marking the court house lawn I had a light bulb moment. Kate was calling about our medical bills from the pregnancy that totaled over $4000. She had a medicaid card that was good for 4 more days and we were seeing if it would cover some of our bills. Each bill she called ended with Kate smiling as she hung up and told me it was taken care of.

Now here is the thing. If I had some dumb temp job, or got a real job after we were pregnant I would have to wait 90 days for my insurance to start, if I got it at all, and we would not have been covered. Also if I had a job we would be making too much money to qualify for the medicaid and we would now have a $4000 debt to be taking care of, on top of the Dr. visits that we would have been responsible for as well. My disappointment and my misguided sense of self worth were lambs on the alter of provision. The Lord took care of us just like He promised he would.

I would like to say I have also learned that who I am isn't tied to what I do but that lesson needs a little more studying before I can pass that test. I have the time right now, and the open mind to learn. Oh and 1 more thing, Kate's new job has insurance and it starts in 4 days as well!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing I love more than stories that explain to us why we believe and trust in the Lord. I think everyone should share those stories with each other as reminders in case someone else is low.

Thank you.